Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

To Know Your Audience, Is Not Necessarily to Love Them -- OR -- A Tale of Two Watches


It is important to have a clear picture of who and what you’re dealing with when considering any sort of social remodeling, building or engineering.  It’s unfortunate sometimes what we learn leaves us with a sinking feeling that all hope for the future is lost.

I can sum it all with the tale of two watches.  I met this week with a senior corporate executive from a VERY large company in the financial services sector.  It makes perfect sense they would go to a PR consultancy named, “Outlaw.”

I noticed a rather large and impressive, like $20k+ impressive, dive watch on the young exec’s wrist and I inquired if he was a fellow SCUBA diver, showing him my admittedly battered and aged Seiko Divemaster.  He huffed at my sub-par watch and informed me his watch was the BEST dive watch made and though he was not a diver he appreciated expensive, fine things.

I suppose that summed it up in a way no single person can sum up an entire generation’s philosophical leanings.  It’s all about the trophy for some folks.

My Divemaster has been in the mouth of a Bull Shark, fended off Barracuda, partially swallowed by a Wolf Eel (all while still attached to my wrist) and gently stroked the body of Humpbacked Whale and her Calf and, of course, ridden on the back of  several dolphins. 

To me this makes my Seiko Divemaster worth far more than Richie Rich's expensive dive watch could ever be simply because it’s real and it serves a true purpose and delivers value.  It never once left me gasping for air, literally, and has proved effective shark, barracuda and eel repellent while simultaneously attracting the most gentle of ocean going giants.

I may not agree with or like the worldview of everyone I encounter or work with… but understanding what motivates people is the air we breathe as PR pros and we need it, even when it tastes foul.

No comments:

Post a Comment