Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

How to Kill a Company –OR- Operation Armano Target #OAT


Yesterday evening I had a crazy idea and lacking a healthy sense of self-preservation and preferring the hard charging “let’s storm that hill sort of MO” over something more prudent, I've decided see if I can use social media to kill Outlaw Communications.

Okay, so why would I want to kill a company I founded only two years ago?  The answer is simple – I want to work for David Armano at Edelman Digital

And you can help me by sharing this blog and my Tweets, Facebook, retweeting, encouraging David @armano and @edelmandigital.

Why David, why Edelman?  Simple again.  These folks get social media like no other agency I’ve seen yet.

So here's the event, you can join and bear witness to the first-ever Social Media Execution of an Outlaw.

I’ve spent years in communications at, the last two working with agencies, businesses, non-profits, governments and the military on social media strategy. And while I learned many lessons about integrating communications in the social environment the single greatest lesson is most agencies and communications departments have absolutely no idea how to operate in the social environment. They’re frightened and confused and the resulting missed opportunities defy explanation.

I read about what David and Edelman are doing and I became excited about social media all over again.  This social media thing is going to be the biggest business boom for our profession we have ever seen.  Forget about the dotcom days – social media is the now, and the future of business.  I call it the Social Biosphere.

Readers of this blog know and in fact anyone who has spent more than a few minutes with me over the last few years hears me talk about the Social Biosphere concept. And more importantly are well aware of my generally low opinion of how most traditional communications agencies and departments operate within the Social Biosphere.

Before B-School and a quick stop back at the undergrad level for a BPR I studied classical sociology and see the Biosphere as new and evolving BOE or Business Operating Environment composed of millions of subsystems and ecosystem niches populated by myriad cultures. The Social Biosphere will blur traditional media and cultural boundaries and we will see digital and physical interactions socialized as they come together. 

It is this convergence brought on by the social media eclipse of our traditional physical and digital worlds that combines to form a new communications operating environment – the Social Biosphere. 

Edelman and David Armano seem to be the clear communications leaders in this brave new Biosphere and that is where I need to be.

So I encourage you to share this post and my tweets with your networks, direct message @edelmandigital and David @armano join my  Operation Armano Target campaign, #OAT and together we can reinvigorate our industry and launch our greatest communications epoch!

No comments:

Post a Comment